- Allow intentional assignment to variables named ``_``
- Recognize ``__module__`` as a valid name in class scope
- ``pyflakes.checker.Checker`` supports checking of partial ``ast`` trees
- Detect assign-before-use for local variables which shadow builtin names
- Detect invalid ``print`` syntax using ``>>`` operator
- Treat ``async for`` the same as a ``for`` loop for introducing variables
- Add detection for list concatenation in ``__all__``
- Exempt ``typing.overload`` from duplicate function declaration
- Importing a submodule of an ``as``-aliased ``import``-import is marked as
- Report undefined names from ``__all__`` as possibly coming from a ``*``
- Add support for changes in Python 3.8-dev
- Add support for PEP 563 (``from __future__ import annotations``)
- Include Python version and platform information in ``pyflakes --version``
- Recognize ``__annotations__`` as a valid magic global in Python 3.6+
- Mark names used in PEP 484 `` type: ...`` comments as used
- Add check for use of ``is`` operator with ``str``, ``bytes``, and ``int``
- Drop support for EOL Python <2.7 and 3.2-3.3
- Check for unused exception binding in ``except:`` block
- Handle string literal type annotations
- Ignore redefinitions of ``_``, unless originally defined by import
- Support ``__class__`` without ``self`` in Python 3
- Issue an error for ``raise NotImplemented(...)``
- Process function scope variable annotations for used names
- Find Python files without extensions by their shebang
- Enable support for PEP 526 annotated assignments
- Change formatting of ImportStarMessage to be consistent with other errors
- Support PEP 498 "f-strings"
- Fix PyPy2 Windows IntegrationTests
- Check for duplicate dictionary keys
- Fix TestMain tests on Windows
- Fix "continue" and "break" checks ignoring py3.5's "async for" loop
- Fix TypeError when processing relative imports
- Avoid traceback when exception is del-ed in except
- Fix false RedefinedWhileUnused for submodule imports
- Warn against reusing exception names after the except: block on Python 3
- Improve the error messages for imports
- Allow main() to accept arguments.
- Support matrix-multiplication operator
- Validate ``__future__`` imports
- Fix doctest scope testing
- Warn for tuple assertions which are always true
- Warn for "import \*" not at module level on Python 3
- Catch many more kinds of SyntaxErrors
- Check PEP 498 f-strings
- (and a few more sundry bugfixes)
- Python 3.5 support. async/await statements in particular.
- Fix test_api.py on Windows.
- Eliminate a false UnusedImport warning when the name has been
- Fix a traceback when a global is defined in one scope, and used in another.
- Update NEWS.txt to include 0.9.0, which had been forgotten.
- Exit gracefully, not with a traceback, on SIGINT and SIGPIPE.
- Fix incorrect report of undefined name when using lambda expressions in
- Don't crash on DOS line endings on Windows and Python 2.6.
- Don't report an undefined name if the 'del' which caused a name to become
undefined is only conditionally executed.
- Properly handle differences in list comprehension scope in Python 3.
- Improve handling of edge cases around 'global' defined variables.
- Report an error for 'return' outside a function.
- Detect the declared encoding in Python 3.
- Do not report redefinition of import in a local scope, if the
global name is used elsewhere in the module.
- Catch undefined variable in loop generator when it is also used as
- Report undefined name for ``(a, b) = (1, 2)`` but not for the general
unpacking ``(a, b) = func()``.
- Correctly detect when an imported module is used in default arguments
of a method, when the method and the module use the same name.
- Distribute a universal wheel file.
- Adapt for the AST in Python 3.4.
- Fix caret position on SyntaxError.
- Fix crash on Python 2.x with some doctest SyntaxError.
- Add tox.ini.
- The ``PYFLAKES_NODOCTEST`` environment variable has been replaced with the
``PYFLAKES_DOCTEST`` environment variable (with the opposite meaning).
Doctest checking is now disabled by default; set the environment variable
to enable it.
- Correctly parse incremental ``__all__ += [...]``.
- Catch return with arguments inside a generator (Python <= 3.2).
- Do not complain about ``_`` in doctests.
- Drop deprecated methods ``pushFunctionScope`` and ``pushClassScope``.
- Do not report undefined name for generator expression and dict or
set comprehension at class level.
- Deprecate ``Checker.pushFunctionScope`` and ``Checker.pushClassScope``:
use ``Checker.pushScope`` instead.
- Remove dependency on Unittest2 for the tests.
- Fix computation of ``DoctestSyntaxError.lineno`` and ``col``.
- Add boolean attribute ``Checker.withDoctest`` to ignore doctests.
- If environment variable ``PYFLAKES_NODOCTEST`` is set, skip doctests.
- Environment variable ``PYFLAKES_BUILTINS`` accepts a comma-separated
list of additional built-in names.
- File ``bin/pyflakes`` was missing in tarball generated with distribute.
- Fix reporting errors in non-ASCII filenames (Python 2.x).
- Add --version and --help options.
- Support ``python -m pyflakes`` (Python 2.7 and Python 3.x).
- Add attribute ``Message.col`` to report column offset.
- Do not report redefinition of variable for a variable used in a list
comprehension in a conditional.
- Do not report redefinition of variable for generator expressions and
set or dict comprehensions.
- Do not report undefined name when the code is protected with a
``NameError`` exception handler.
- Do not report redefinition of variable when unassigning a module imported
for its side-effect.
- Support special locals like ``__tracebackhide__`` for py.test.
- Support checking doctests.
- Fix issue with Turkish locale where ``'i'.upper() == 'i'`` in Python 2.
- Fix detection of variables in augmented assignments.
- Support Python 3 up to 3.3, based on the pyflakes3k project.
- Preserve compatibility with Python 2.5 and all recent versions of Python.
- Support custom reporters in addition to the default Reporter.
- Allow function redefinition for modern property construction via
- Fix spurious redefinition warnings in conditionals.
- Do not report undefined name in ``__all__`` if import * is used.
- Add WindowsError as a known built-in name on all platforms.
- Support specifying additional built-ins in the ``Checker`` constructor.
- Don't issue Unused Variable warning when using locals() in current scope.
- Handle problems with the encoding of source files.
- Remove dependency on Twisted for the tests.
- Support ``python setup.py test`` and ``python setup.py develop``.
- Create script using setuptools ``entry_points`` to support all platforms,
- Convert pyflakes to use newer _ast infrastructure rather than compiler.
- Support for new syntax in 2.7 (including set literals, set comprehensions,
and dictionary comprehensions).
- Make sure class names don't get bound until after class definition.
- Fix reporting for certain SyntaxErrors which lack line number
- Check for syntax errors more rigorously.
- Support checking names used with the class decorator syntax in versions
of Python which have it.
- Detect local variables which are bound but never used.
- Handle permission errors when trying to read source files.
- Handle problems with the encoding of source files.
- Support importing dotted names so as not to incorrectly report them as
redefined unused names.
- Support all forms of the with statement.
- Consider static ``__all__`` definitions and avoid reporting unused names
if the names are listed there.
- Fix incorrect checking of class names with respect to the names of their
bases in the class statement.
- Support the ``__path__`` global in ``__init__.py``.
- Display more informative SyntaxError messages.
- Don't hang flymake with unmatched triple quotes (only report a single
line of source for a multiline syntax error).
- Recognize ``__builtins__`` as a defined name.
- Improve pyflakes support for python versions 2.3-2.5
- Support for if-else expressions and with statements.
- Warn instead of error on non-existent file paths.
- Check for ``__future__`` imports after other statements.
- Add reporting for some types of import shadowing.
- Improve reporting of unbound locals